Self-contained trash compactors, sometimes called Roll-on/Roll-off compactors, provide many benefits to building owners in a variety of commercial and industrial businesses. Self-contained trash compactors improve efficiency and waste management, prevent infestations with clean disposal of wet waste, and prevent tampering.
Self-contained trash compactors operate with hydraulic and electrical power, with a rolling bin that mechanically lifts trash into the compactor. A self-contained compactor remains sealed, providing sanitary disposal of wet waste, and remains sealed other than during operation. Once the compactor is filled to a certain level of capacity, typically about 80%, a signal will alert to let the hauler know that it is time to pick up the unit.
Benefits of Self-Contained Trash Compactors
Switching to a self-contained trash compactor provides many benefits over other types of waste disposal. Some benefits realized by many companies include:
- Fewer trips are required by waste haulers to dump trash due to compaction
- Lower costs for disposal can offset much of the initial cost
- Increased capacity to dispose of more waste compared to traditional ways containers
- Odor reduction and some may include an odor neutralizer
- More sanitary than other containers or dumpsters and prevent bacteria growth
- There is no need to store trash before sending to the compactor
- Self-contained units are closed to prevent rain and other weather elements from causing rest and decay.
- Difficult to overload and sturdier structurally than other types of dumpsters.
- Maintains a cleaner waste management area without trash pileups and overflow
- Secure waste disposal prevents unauthorized use of trash dumping
These are some of the many benefits that companies realize when switching to a self-contained trash compactor.
Who Benefits from Self-Contained Compactors?
Businesses of all types can realize these many benefits when using a self-contained trash compactor. Some typical locations where you might see a compactor unit like this include:
- Department stores
- Grocery stores
- Nursing homes
- Hotels, motels, resorts
- Shopping centers and malls
- Industrial manufacturers
- Colleges and universities
This is just a short list of the many types of businesses that can enjoy the benefits of a self-contained compactor.
Considerations When Choosing Your Self-Contained Trash Compactor
When evaluating the many benefits of a self-contained trash compactor unit, there are some important things you should consider:
- Know of any certain electrical requirements to operate the compactor
- Obtain the exact space dimensions and specifications
- Make sure there is enough space for loading and unloading
- If placed above an open underground area such as a parking lot, verify the structure’s weight capacity
- Evaluate the amount of waste generated at your facility for an accurate cost comparison
- Verify the pick-up requirements with the waste hauler
- Train all employees on the proper operation including safety measures, lock-out-tag-out procedures, and potential hazards.
- Keep a controlled record of keys and authorized personnel. At least two keys should exist with one remaining in a manager’s office and one with the employee who is operating the device.
- Self-contained compactors can last up to 20 years with proper maintenance. Be sure to change the hoist oil and grease moving parts regularly.
- Protect your compactor with the Compactor Break Away Safety System (C-BASS)
C-BASS Protects Your Compactor From Serious Damage and Causing Harm
Innovative products are available to protect your compactor against experiencing serious and costly damage and from causing harm to anyone nearby. The C-BASS Break Away Safety System by Stucchi was developed specifically to protect self-contained compactors against damage occurring from common practices that frequently put companies at risk. Every time the hauler picks up your compactor, the driver must disconnect hydraulic hoses prior to driving off – most companies are unaware of how many times hoses are left connected inadvertently causing hydraulic spills, electrical damage, and even projectile equipment putting people in serious risk of life-threatening injuries.
Watch this quick video to show how this damage occurs and see the FREE Whitepaper to learn more about the many benefits of C-BASS.
Stucchi has been an industry leader, providing hydraulic solutions worldwide to a variety of industries and applications for more than 60 years. We offer high-quality, reliable, and durable hydraulic quick coupling products and solutions designed to meet your specific application needs. Contact us to learn more about protecting your self-contained trash compactor with Stucchi’s C-BASS solution.